IIUC,
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Exceptions/Exceptions.html
 is available to everyone and is not under NDA. It's the "Introduction to
Exception Programming Topics for Cocoa". As noted on this page, the first
article is titled "Exceptions and the Cocoa Frameworks" and "...describes
NSException objects and their general use with the Cocoa frameworks." The page
also contains a reference to the related CoreRecipes sample code. The document
applies to both iPhone OS and Mac OS X. (FWIW, I am believe that exception
handling is also used *->within<-* some or all of the core frameworks.)

When discussing the relative merits of exceptions and error codes, the
distinction between "expected" and "unexpected" errors (i.e., exceptions) must
be maintained. Apple's "Error Handling Programming Guide for Cocoa" does an
excellent job of describing "...the recommended way to communicate
*->expected<-* errors in Cocoa applications" (emphasis added).

The original question from Squ Aire contained a reference to the option of
returning nil. It may well be that I misunderstood, but I interpreted that as
exception handling and not the communication of normal, expected errors.

BTW, I did not neglect to research the archives. I did, however, fail to find
related references to the above cited Apple developer documents. Might be some
sloppy searching on my part. I'll go back and look again.

Regards,
Dick