On Oct 26, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Nick Rogers wrote:

Now I have to make a small utility that would download the appropriate (best) version of main app that would run on the user system by polling for the MacOS type and its ability to run 64-bit apps.
I have no internet related programming experience till now.
Are there any resources available for a beginner for developing such a utility.
How should I proceed?

The 1990s are over, almost nobody cares about executable smallness anymore, and the few that do care will use some program to strip out the architectures they're not using. So I wouldn't worry about this unless you get customer complaints about the application size.

Also how to know if a particular mac would be able to run a 64-bit app? Some earlier Macs like PowerPC G4 could run Leopard but are not able to run 64-bit apps.

Use sysctlbyname() with the key "hw.cpu64bit_capable". If the key value is set to 1, then it's able; if it's undefined or set to 0, then it isn't.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>