I wonder if someone could explain the following.

In "NSDraggingDestination Protocol Reference (informal protocol)", it states:

"The NSDraggingDestination informal protocol declares methods that the destination object (or recipient) of a dragged image must implement."

 The methods ( which include )

        - prepareForDragOperation:  required method
        - performDragOperation:  required method
        - concludeDragOperation:  required method

are all marked as "required method".

However, in the " Drag and Drop Programming Topics for Cocoa" , in the section " Receiving Drag Operations " the following is noted.

"When the image is dropped with a drag operation other than NSDragOperationNone, the destination is sent a prepareForDragOperation: message followed by performDragOperation: andconcludeDragOperation:. You can cancel the drag by returning NO from either of the first two methods. You do the bulk of the data handling in the performDragOperation: method; ***the other two methods are implemented only if necessary***." (My emphasis)

In my test app, the latter statement seems to be true ie only "performDragOperation:" seemed necessary to allow the drop.

Is this a contradiction, or my not following exactly what the documentation is saying? (more likely :-) )