On Oct 30, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Gabriel Zachmann wrote:

Now, one user has reported that, occasionally, CGImageSourceCreateWithURL() fails -- I can tell from the log I received.

I have never seen a case where -fileURLWithPath has failed.

Maybe the file doesn't contain valid image data. The docs don't say what happens in this case, but it looks like most of the functions on a CGImageSource assume that the image has already been parsed, so if it can't be parsed I would guess it has to fail.

Get someone to send you one of the files in question, and see if you can open it with your app or with Preview.