Hi all,
I have reached a dead-end. A search as best I could of the archives and google does not throw light on this. (My favorite cocoabuilder seems to be on vacation :-) )

According to the documentation: http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/IB_UserGuide/EditingNibFileObjects/EditingNibFileObjects.html under "Customizing the Contents of a Toolbar"

once a toolbar Item is added to the customization sheet and highlighed, the inspector window's Image Name, Label and Pal. Label are enabled. ( I do show one difference from the documentation, in that only "Autovalidates" is checked in my rendition). In my case, **none** of these attributes is enabled. I have tried to see if adding the toolbar to the top-level of the nib-file and customizing it **before** adding the toolbar icon( in the nib) to the window, but the same results occur. ( I did this as there is a note that **could** possibly be interpreted this way).

I am hoping this is some checkmark somewhere that needs to be checked/ unchecked, but so far nothing has helped.

Thanks in advance.