On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM, John Joyce
<dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see it as a useful thing to have predefined character sets that don't need
> to be managed.

So you just want more things like +whitespaceCharacterSet?  That makes sense.

> At the very least, I will probably submit a radar on adding locale-specific
> standard sets.
> The standard set is woefully Latin-centric.

> Many languages do not use whitespace the same way (generally as word
> boundaries).

> [snip]

> I know, some of this leads to things like tokenization.

Well, in that specific instance, you should not be doing word
splitting yourself.  You should instead use CFStringTokenizer.

> Point being, if we look beyond English and Western Europe, and consider how
> much of programming is pushing text around, it certainly seems like a
> logical expansion that would be of benefit to a lot of people.
> Maybe it's just me, not trying to hog the list.

At some point you have to decide that it isn't worth adding more API.
I certainly would not want NSCharacterSet to expose the power set of
all Unicode characters.

--Kyle Sluder