On 11/3/09 8:22 PM, David Hirsch said:

>So, I'm hearing folks sing the praises of CoreData, which I have not
>yet learned.  It seems like a long uphill climb, but if life will be
>spectacular afterwards, I'll do it.  I am a semi-casual programmer;
>I've just finished a couple of small programs that do not use
>CoreData, and I can see the advantage in gaining open/save and undo/
>redo for free, but I'm concerned about the work I'll have to put in to
>learn it.  I've read a bunch of the CoreData intro documentation, but
>it doesn't give a feel for how difficult it will be to learn, nor how
>big the advantages are if I do.
>
>Here's the next project I'm going to work on, for which I'm
>considering CoreData:
>
>A simulated annealing code for class scheduling.  The CoreData part
>would lie in managing all the lists involved: classes, rooms,
>instructors, preferences, conflict cost weights, etc.  I estimate that
>I will have about 500 items spread over about 10 arrays.  I would not
>expect to have a complex object graph (if that's the right term) -
>just a lot of items in lists, items that need to be managed,
>displayed, saved, loaded, etc.  I could use NSArrays for all these,
>which I currently understand.

I have found learning and using Core Data worthwhile.  It is quite big
and you will want/need to read the docs over and over.

In addition to what others have already said.  I'll just add that undo
support is not really 'free'.  Core Data does do a lot of the undo work
for you, but it's only 'free' in simple cases.  10.6 has improvements
here (which I have yet to try).

I'll also agree with others that scheme migration is a pain.  One small
model change and your file format is different and unreadable by older
versions of your software.  10.6 also has improvements here (supposedly).

Good luck!