Let me start with what I'm trying to accomplish. I have an app that is constantly running an animation, which's attributes are determined after downloading and parsing some XML. The XML is parsed at a given interval using an NSTimer. As expected, sometimes when the XML is being parsed the animation stalls. I've determined that I'll need to do the parsing on a separate thread from the main thread (Unless there is a better solution?).

I'm running into some problems using NSOperation with a NSTimer. Here are some portions of the code:
//From the App delegate

        //create a timer to parse the XML
        self.timer = [NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval: 2

                  target: self

                selector: @selector(parseXML:)

                userInfo: nil

                 repeats: YES];

        //Parse the XML
        - (void) parseXML:(NSTimer *)timer {
XMLParser *parser = [[XMLParser alloc] initWithURL:@"Location of the XML" delegate:self];
                [queue addOperation:parser];
                [parser release]; //this is where my problem is
        }

XMLParser is a subclass of NSOperation, here is some of that class.

        - (void)main {
                [self startParsing]; //this method starts the parsing
         }

When the parsing is complete, I use this code to send the result back to the delegate object:
        //sends the result back to the delegate
        if ( [delegate respondsToSelector:@selector(status:)] ) {
                [delegate status:self.result];
        }

This code works, as long as I don't release the parser object after this:

        [queue addOperation:parser];
        [parser release];

However, if I don't release the Parser object, the app leaks like crazy, since it's creating new Parser objects on each fire of the timer. When I release the parser, the second fire the app terminates: "Program received signal: “EXC_BAD_ACCESS”.".

Thank you for any advice!