Ron Fleckner wrote:

I've finally worked out a way to pause a thread and would like to know if what I'm doing is dangerous or bad or...?

Exactly what problem are you trying to solve?

Pausing a thread is always potentially dangerous. Any locks or @synchronized blocks acquired before reaching the pause-point will still be held by the paused thread. That means any other threads waiting for those locks will continue waiting. And if one of those threads happens to be involved with other locks related to whoever initiated the pause, then you have deadlock.

It's precisely this potential deadlock that caused Java's suspend() method to be deprecated some time ago.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/misc/ threadPrimitiveDeprecation.html

Please read that, then explain what problem you're trying to solve by pausing a thread, or using a lock.

I assume it has something to do with your comment "// Do some stuff with strings from the array and send the strings to a text view on the main window", but without the full explanation, it means nothing. It's about as meaningful as saying "I can call spirits from the vasty deep", without giving the incantation, what you will bid them do, or whether they will come when you do call for them.

  -- GG