On Nov 12, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Mirko Viviani wrote:

> On 12/ago/2009, at 21.30, David Duncan wrote:
>
>>> From my experience on Windows, DPIHeight and DPIWidth are properties of the
>>> display device the image is drawn on, and not properties of the image
>>> itself.
>>
>> They are properties of both. In the case of printing, you are using a fixed
>> grid at 72 PPI. Your source image of course has its own DPI that determines
>> the actual size of the image in real world units. You combine the two to
>> print or display an image at its natural size.
>
> Do you mean that there is no way to print an image using a grid of 300 PPI
> with Cocoa/Quartz?
> If not, why? Alternatives?

Just like with all CGContexts you can apply a transform matrix to change the
coordinate system. However in general this isn't necessary. If you want an
image to display in a 1" x 1" area on screen, draw it into a 72x72 box. The
pixel size of the image will determine DPI. If you wanted to draw a 1" image at
300 DPI then you would just need a 300x300 image drawn into a 72x72 box. If you
wanted to draw a 1" image at 600 DPI then you would need a 600x600 image drawn
into the same 72x72 box.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing