> Send -[NSMenuItem submenu].  Each level of a hierarchical menu consists of
> two parts.  First, the (sub)menu, then the menu items.  Repeat for each
> level.

I'm still not understanding what I'm doing wrong.

It's like there is no submenu attached to this menuItem. Each time I
try to grab the submenu from this menu item, it's null. I've dragged
an NSMenuItem onto the menu pulldown of this NSPopUpButton and put a
few NSMenuItems into it as well and can select them all when running
it.

- (IBAction) readMenuSelection:(id) sender
{
        // sender is NSPopUpButton
        NSMenuItem *menuItem = [sender selectedItem];

        NSMenu *subMenu = [menuItem submenu];
        // subMenu is null at this point.
        NSLog(@"submenu %@", subMenu);