On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:57 PM, Wim Lewis wrote:

On Oct 7, 2009, at 1:44 PM, Daniel Ketel wrote:
[...] I must have done something wrong, the application seems to get confused or I don't know what. The system itself still is running, but somehow the application is ignoring ANY input, but since it covers up the whole screen and ignores the input, I have no means of terminating the application. I can't switch to Activity Monitor or back to xcode or anything... [...] So I though there might be something built into xcode (or something in the xcode-package) like a timer to terminate an application. For example before starting my application in debug mode I would set the timer to say 10 seconds, and after 10 seconds the application will be killed automagically, regardless of what it is doing. Would help me a lot, since I wouldn't have to force- kill the whole system (forced shutdown...). Any ideas?

You could use the alarm() syscall. This will schedule a SIGALARM to be sent to your process in some number of seconds. If you don't have a signal handler set up for that signal (and by default, you don't), then your program will be terminated. Just put a line like "alarm(10);" near the beginning of main().

(If you have another machine available, even a non-Mac, then using ssh to log in and kill the process is probably the easiest route, as Jens Alfke suggests.)

But don't forget that you need to enable remote login via the Sharing system preferences panel or this'll get nowhere, methinks!

This email sent to wsqui...@satx.rr.com