Try the following:-

Get rid of the current split view ( Unembed objects  from the menu )
Drag an NSBox into your window - set it to have no border or title as appropriate and set it so that it can change size horizontally and vertically. Drop your table view and button onto this box - arrange button and table as desired Make sure that the NSScrollView in which the table view is embedded and the NSTableView itself are both set to resize in both directions
Make the box a member of the split view ( use the menu method )
Make sure the split view is set to resize in both directions ( if you want it to change size as the parent window changes size )

I have never found a way of letting a pane of a split view ( containing a table view ) shut down completely and have the TV recover its sanity when the pane is reopened.

I control this problem by not letting the pane be shut down totally by using the methods -(float)splitView:(NSSplitView *)sender constrainMaxCoordinate: (float)proposedMax ofSubviewAt:(int)offset -(float)splitView:(NSSplitView *)sender constrainMinCoordinate: (float)proposedMax ofSubviewAt:(int)offset

Peter