Thanks for the in-depth info.

> Maybe I missed something earlier in this thread, but I don't see why using the
> NSEditor protocol isn't a better solution.

Well, I'm not using bindings, and I am using NSWindowController which does
not implement the NSEditor protocol.

> This is a superior solution to the 'makeFirstResponder:' approach, I believe,
> because it tells you if committing fails due to a validation error -- in which
> case I assume you wouldn't want to proceed with whatever the button normally
> triggers.

I'm handling validation outside the validation protocol anyway (for good
reasons...)

> Finally, there *is* a more general solution, which is to subclass
> NSWindowController and implement both the NSEditor and NSEditorRegistration
> protocols, much like NSController does.

This is probably the best direction, long-term. I'm not prepared to tackle
this any time soon, but as part of future evolution plans I'll look into it.
(Old code base, predates bindings & NSController & NSViewController.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@killerbytes.com