On Nov 27, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Sandy McGuffog wrote:

> For some files, I get a thumbnail of the file, so e.g., for a JPEG, I get a
> miniature of the actual image in the JPEG. But for other files, even in the
> same directory, I get the file type icon, so e.g., for a JPEG, the OS X JPEG
> icon.
>
> All these files show the miniature of the image in Finder.

Some files have embedded previews, or are in common formats (like JPEG) that
the system at a low level knows how to generate preview of — NSWorkspace etc.
will give you previews of those. But not all file types are like that. If
you're trying to get icon previews of all kinds of files, the QuickLook API is
the best way to do it.