As my undo woes continue and multiply, I'm working on my own undo
implementation, as least as a back-up strategy.

One thing I'd like to do is to match NSUndoManager's ability to automatically
open and close groups as the run loop cycles. What's the best way to do this?

What's needed is a way to call a class method of my undo manager at the start
and end of the every cycle of the main run loop, before any events are
dispatched.

I notice that NSUndoManager has a 'run loop modes' property but it's unclear
where and how that is used.

Thanks for any help,