On Dec 7, 2009, at 10:34, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> At the risk of being flamed, I'll state that I also use single, language-less
> xibs.

Well, this is no flame, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but I will just point
out that you and the OP are mostly talking about translation, not localization
-- you're talking about making room in the layout for the sizes of the strings
translated into the "localized" language. Localization isn't just about which
language your interface uses, but which set of cultural values it embraces.

After all, if you're producing a great-looking app, your initial interface
design (in, presumably, your own language) has a carefully hand-crafted XIB
file. Even if the same design works for a different language -- one that has
strings of approximately the same length -- there are other aspects to
consider. Another culture's preference for balance in the layout may differ
subtly from yours. Effective colors may vary from culture to culture. Cultures
with languages with long words might prefer more vertical white space between
lines than cultures with languages with short words. Some countries may love
tool tips and other countries may hate them, I don't know.

Language is the largest part of localization, perhaps, but not the whole of it.
In an ideal world, if users of your primary XIB localization get a carefully
hand-crafted design, then surely your users of your other localizations deserve
the attention of a design hand-crafted for them too.

But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)