On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Richard Somers wrote:

>> This isn't a leak, it's caching the color. Otherwise it would have to call
>> into the OS (CoreUI or what have you) every time anyone asked for the
>> control color, which happens quite often.
>
> MallocDebug reported it as a leak so I thought it was a leak. So how do you
> identify leaks from non-leaks?

Intuition.

The only way to know is to understand what's going on which makes it think it's
a leak. But you can pretty much ignore any reported "leaks" which aren't from
your own code. There may be a leak in the frameworks, but it's so rare it
wouldn't really be worth your time trying to understand every potential one.
You'll get used to seeing the same kind of "leak" over and over and learn to
ignore it.

--
Seth Willits