I'm trying to move from a custom view to an IKImageBrowserView in a project,
and running into a somewhat odd problem. Context: my IKImageBrowserItems are
IKImageBrowserNSImageRepresentationType, backed by a relatively
large (~600x800) NSImage.

When first drawn, at any scale factor, this looks great. However, as soon as
a redraw (not a reload!) occurs, the quality goes to hell. For example,
clicking in the browserview will cause this problem instantly. It's as if
it's deciding all of a sudden to fall back to a cached image of much lower
quality. Scrolling seems not to trigger a redraw of this type; so if a large
view containing as-first-drawn high quality images is clicked, only the
currently visible thumbnails will get degraded, and scrolling can then
present a mix of degraded and full-quality images.

Needless to say, this huge a reduction in image quality is not acceptable.
How can this be prevented?

[Side note: I've seen reference to the prefetching behavior
of IKImageBrowserView is particularly gnarly for NSImages as all the preload
must be done on main thread since NSImage is not thread safe. With this in
mind, what's the preferred type for IKImageBrowserItem backings?]

Adam