In Cocoa Design Patterns, Chap 29 re-creates, from scratch, an
NSArrayController, dissecting in great detail how it works. The example
essentially is a very rudimentary drawing program, which shows rectangles in a
view, with a table showing the coordinates of the same.

My question relates to the essence of the demo, viz the array of the model
objects, specifically an NSArray in the controller.

The approach taken is that as each model object is created, it is not added to
the array, but a new array is formed with each new model object created, and
assigned to the NSArray.
So, why would  one not simply use an NSMutableArray and simple add or delete
model objects. I suspect part of the answer is that assigning a new array
allows easier use of KVC but I am not sure as this is not specifically
explained.

Thanks for your input.