If you have an application delegate you can add a IB instance variable to that.
Though what I usually do in your situation is to create a separate NIB and
window controller for the inspector panel, I then have a showInspector method
in my application delegate which will create the window controller if
necessary, and then use notifications and notification observing to keep the
inspector up to date with changes to the main window/document and changes in
content.

On 30/12/2009, at 4:23 PM, David Blanton wrote:

> In a document based app I want to have some 'inspectors" that reflect what i
> sgoing on in the document.  These inspectors should float.
>
> If I make NSPanel's for the inspector in MyDocument.xib then each instance of
> a document gets its own set of inspectors.
>
> I would like to have just one set of inspectors whose contents change as
> different documents are activated.
>
> Putting the inspectors in MainMenu.xib will let me make just 'one set' for
> all documents but I am unsure as to how to get a reference from the inspector
> to the document given different xib's.
>
> Suggestion please.
>
> db

> This email sent to nathan_...@mac.com