Ah!  That's what I missed.  Thanks. I assume that just tests the zero state
of changeCount.  Maybe I can override that to return YES if any count is
non-zero.

This is a fairly complex document, involving a data hierarchy and various
contexts (and editable windows) within that hierarchy.  Some of the contexts
operate at different levels within the hierarchy.  With a single undo
manager, I found that it was easy to confuse the undo process and crash it,
not to mention the possibility of applying undo to data not visible on the
screen at the time.  I solved some of the problems by clearing the undo
stack when the user changed tab-views in the hierarchy.  However, with other
windows independently displaying some of the content of the hierarchy, it
simply proved unworkable to use a single undo manager.