In my braille app, the font "Apple Braille" looks kind of wimpy when
printed. Some people say it's hard to read. I thought I'd try making it
bold, but for some reason, Apple Braille does not go bold in any app I've
tried.

Okay, so maybe there isn't a bold variant of the braille font installed. So
I tried using the NSFontWeightTrait, but that has no effect either. It
doesn't have any effect on any other font I've tried. Does it only work on
special fonts? If so, where is that documented?

My questions are:

1) Why can't I make Apple Braille bold?

2) Why doesn't NSFontWeightTrait work at all? (see code below)

3) Is there another way to make my braille look "heavier"?

NSFont * font = [NSFont fontWithName:aName size:aSize];

NSFontDescriptor *descriptor = [font fontDescriptor];

NSNumber *advance = [NSNumber numberWithDouble:cellWidth];

NSNumber *zero = [NSNumber numberWithDouble: 0.0];

NSNumber *one = [NSNumber numberWithDouble: 1.0];

NSDictionary *newAttributes;

newAttributes = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:

advance, NSFontFixedAdvanceAttribute,   // this works...

[NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:

one , NSFontWeightTrait,        // this doesn't work.

zero, NSFontWidthTrait,

zero, NSFontSlantTrait,

zero, NSFontSymbolicTrait,

nil], NSFontTraitsAttribute,

nil];

descriptor = [descriptor fontDescriptorByAddingAttributes:newAttributes];

[self setFont: [NSFont fontWithDescriptor:descriptor size:0.0]];

Thanks,

James