Thank you to all who offered your expertise!

Whatta dumb mistake! I thought all objects were retained once when created, not auto-released. Gah!

I've been programming for 20+ years--mostly with C++ and C#. Cocoa-ObjC has the steepest learning curve of any programming I have ever done. It makes me feel like an idiot, so you can certainly expect to see more of these noobish questions from me... Thanks in advance for your help and patience!