On 2010-01-03 00:08, Eric Smith wrote:
Correct, do not release the array.  If you don't create it with "init", or
retain it, then you should not release it.
Eric, thank you for stating that rule. It should be easy enough to remember and help me avoid this problem in the future.

In my defense, there seems to be a bug in the latest XCode, which make strings stored in NSArrays look like garbage when inspected during debugging. So the elements of pnl appeared to be trashed immediately upon creation. That's why I was looking for the bug in the wrong place.

Does anyone else find XCode extremely buggy? I have to continually close and reopen my editing window because the code display gets trashed and appears to scramble my code. It doesn't really change the source code file; it just makes it look as if I've randomly gone through the file deleting stuff, and when I see that happen, I immediately save, close, and reopen the window, and everything is fine.

Mac software is usually first class, stable, and beautiful. How do folks write such great software when they're stuck with such a sub-par IDE? :-)