I'm developing an application that registers a service with the Services menu in Leopard (10.5.8). I've based much of the code on Apple's documentation of services, and I have correctly set up my info.plist file with the appropriate keys. The application launches and runs fine. However, the application doesn't show up in the Services menu, even after I run /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs.

This is proving very hard to debug. When I launch the application in this fashion in Terminal:

/Applications/ServiceTest.app/Contents/MacOS/ServiceTest -NSDebugServices com.codebykevin.servicetest

there is no error logged in Terminal or Console. This tells me that the service should be registered.

Running this command:

 /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs -dump_pboard

produces no output (a Leopard bug, perhaps?) so I can't actually tell what's registered.

I was able to see the service registered in the "Service Scrubber" application, in what the app describes as a "zombie service"--grayed out, unable to be edited. It's listed there as "Untitled Service: [ServiceTest provideService]," which is the app name (ServiceTest) and NS method (provideService).

Does anyone have any idea why Service Scrubber would see my service but it doesn't show up in the services menu?

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin