Eric E. Dolecki wrote:

I don't care about the city, just that the zip code will work. On an iPhone testing against an array of 42,305 values... could that be pretty quick? Seems like a large set to go through looking. I'm sending the value to a
webservice to return weather data.

Use an array of bits, not numeric values. Each bit position is numbered (indexed) by zip-code. The bit is 0 if its zip-code is invalid, 1 if valid.

Time to validate any given zip-code is constant: a couple of shifts and ANDs.

Total data size: 100,000 bits, which is 12.5 KB.

  -- GG