If I just do:

- (BOOL)browser:(NSBrowser *)browser writeRowsWithIndexes:(NSIndexSet
*)rowIndexes inColumn:(NSInteger)column toPasteboard:(NSPasteboard *)pasteboard
{
        [pasteboard declareTypes:[NSArray
arrayWithObject:NSFilesPromisePboardType] owner:self];
        return YES;
}

Then when I drag, I get a message that says:

2010-01-07 14:28:40.419 FilePromiseTest[70035:a0f] Looked for HFSPromises on
the pasteboard, but found none.

And the promised files delegate method still isn't getting called.  (The
entirety of my source code is pasted here:  http://pastie.org/770718 )

Dave