On Jan 8, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Stephen Blinkhorn wrote:
> I can verify this by removing all drawing code from my drawRect: method but
> gaining almost no extra performance (CGLayers are fast :).  Even with an
> empty drawRect: method if I comment out the setNeedsDisplay:YES line in the
> meter then the CPU drops to almost zero.  I'm looking at 15-20% CPU on a dual
> core 2.3GHz machine - quite a lot really.

Are you absolutely sure that you're not updating more than the 20 times
mentioned in your initial message? Something doesn't add up - that load should
be handled easily. You may be calling it more often that you think. Also, how
many views are you updating each time the timer expires? I can imagine that if
you do that on a lot of views 20 times a second the system could go down like
that.

Also, do you really have to update the entire view each time? What speeds up
drawing a lot is specifying a dirty rect as small as possible and restricting
the actual drawing to the area inside the rect whenever possible. May not be
relevant in your case as the bottleneck seems to be somewhere else.

Regards
Markus