On 1/11/10, Chunk 1978 <chunk1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i can't figure out what it wrong with my code (attached .m file).  i'm
> playing a looping sound with OpenAL, which becomes interrupted by an
> alarm.  when i quit the alarm, my endInterruption delegate method is
> activated, and a new OpenAL session is started but i can no longer
> play sounds.  i've also tested other games i've downloaded from the
> app store and their sound is also killed after an interruption from
> the alarm.  what is wrong with my code?

This probably should be moved to the Core Audio list. But, in an
attempt to solve this thread...

First, when you use AudioSessionInitialize, the callback function you
pass as a parameter is the interruption callback, not delegate
methods. You only get delegate callbacks if you use AVAudioSession
and/or AVAudioPlayer. In your code, interruptionListenerCallback() is
the callback function. It happens to call beginInterruption and
endInterruption in your code. You should debug this function to make
sure it is being invoked on the begin and end interruption events.
Make sure your if/else-if logic is correct.

Second, in your beginInterruption method, you have:
AudioSessionSetActive(YES);
in two cases. I'm not sure why this is. And I don't think this is
right. I don't think the AudioSession should be made active while
going into an interruption.

Third, setting AudioSessionSetActive(NO); in beginInterruption I think
is unnecessary. However, I don't expect it to hurt either.

Fourth, you have an error in shutdownOpenAL. You need to call
alcMakeContextCurrent(NULL); before you destroy the context. It is
technically an OpenAL error to destroy an active OpenAL context. This
may also be impacting your startupOpenAL code because I don't know
what will happen when you try to close the device that has an active
context and then try to reopen the device and create a new context
after these errors.

A helpful thing to try is check OpenAL and AudioSession errors to see
what's going on.

As an aside, in iPhone OS 3.0+ doesn't require you to completely
teardown and restart OpenAL. This is in the docs and also my book
mentioned in the other message thread you posted.

Fifth, the isiPodAudioPlaying stuff in beginInterruption and
setupAudioCategorySilenceIpod I find confusing. Particularly, in
beginInterruption I don't think you should be changing the session
categories. Your focus should be solely on suspending audio. I
recommend commenting out those pieces of code while debugging this.
Just focus on one category to start with and don't change it.

Further questions should probably be moved to the Core Audio list.

-Eric