On Jan 13, 2010, at 6:22 PM, William Squires wrote:

> I have a UITableView that's part of a Navigation-based Application. There's
> one .xib, a DrinkDetailViewController class (.m & .h files) and an
> AddDrinkViewController class which inherits from DrinkDetailViewController.
> Both share the same view, which contains a UITextField, two UITextViews, and
> some UILabels. The DrinkDetailViewController.h declares three IBOutlets as
> follows:
>
> #import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
>
> @interface DrinkDetailViewController : UIViewController
> {
> IBOutlet UITextField *nameField;
> IBOutlet UITextView *ingredientsView;
> IBOutlet UITextView *directionsView;
> }
>
> @end
>
> so that I can access the UITextField, and the two UITextViews. IB shows in
> the inspector window, that the UITextField, and UITextViews have a BOOL
> enabled property (controlled by a checkbox labeled "Enabled"). But the
> following doesn't work:

> nameField.enabled = YES;
> ingredientsView.enabled = YES;
> directionsView.enabled = YES;
>
> in the viewDidLoad: method of AddDrinkViewController. I unchecked the enabled
> box for these controls as the normal use of the view is just to display drink
> information, not for data entry. The AddDrinkViewController re-uses the view
> for data entry, and I want to re-enable the fields, but only when the view
> (xib) is used/loaded by the AddDrinkViewController. I looked in the docs for
> UITextField, but didn't even see a reference to an enabled property. Is this
> another of those view-within-a-view problems?

The    enabled    property is defined in UIControl --- the super-class of
UITextField . . .

This is a good time for a plug for Xcode's incredibly useful but oft skipped
over Class Browser,
the second item in Xcode's  Project  menu . . .

    Cheers,
        . . . . . . . .    Henry

iPhone App Development and Developer Education . . .
        Visit  www.nonatomic-retain.com

Mac OSX Application Development, Plus a Great Deal More . . .
        Visit  www.trilithon.com