I have a Core Data document based application. In the data model there are five entities.

Currently I have a inspector panel with five NSArrayControllers, one for each entity. The panel works well but currently all user interaction is confined to the panel itself.

The primary user interface however is a custom view where the model objects are presented to the user all mixed up and in random locations like in a graphics application. The user needs to select one of these objects and then do something with it.

Here is the issue. There is a tension between the inspector panel and the primary view. The inspector panel wants one array controller per entity. The primary view wants a single array controller.

A single array controller would work great for selection in the primary view. But how would you get one array controller to work for five entities?

Multiple array controllers works great for the inspector but the primary view would need query the selected object and then send a message to the proper array controller.

I am having a difficult time jumping from the simplified tutorials and sample code to my specific application.

So which direction do I head?

--Richard