On Jan 15, 2010, at 15:53:29, David Duncan wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Rick Mann wrote:
>
>> Hi. We have a requirement to clip a set of subviews' drawing to an arbitrary
>> path or clip image specified by a containing (parent) view. Is there any way
>> to accomplish this?
>

> Do the subviews move? If not, it would seem that the best way to deal with
> that would be to pass the same clip to each of the subviews and have them
> apply that clip before they draw (with proper transforms of course).
>
> If not, this could be done (with performance penalty) using the layer's mask
> property. Simplest way I can think is to make a new layer, assign the
> contents of the parent layer to that new layer's contents, then assign that
> layer as the mask of all subviews. This may require a bit of futzing around
> to get right however.

The subviews will consist of a UIScrollView and a set of UIButtons. Generally,
I'd like to avoid subclassing them, if possible. I'm implementing a control
with behaviors very similar to a horizontal UIPickerView. Unfortunately, it
lives in a non-rectangular shape, and the surrounding elements are transparent
and should NOT show the control underneath.

I'll look into your suggestion. Thanks!

--
RIck