On Jan 15, 2010, at 3:56 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

> I've never seen any problems with PDF generation occur before, but the user
> says this is a fairly large file. Is this simply a case of running out of
> memory, or something more insidious?

I doubt it. I looked at the source code for that function (it's part of the
CFLite package on opensource.apple.com), and it doesn't actually allocate any
memory. It does call a private function to grow larger, but that function's not
appearing in the stack.

Of course, you can check for yourself by asking the user to return anything
logged to the console prior to the generation of the crash report. malloc()
will log memory allocation errors as they occur.

> Is there anything I can do about it?

Possibly dumb question: Will the user not let you see their data, or at least
give you steps to reproduce the problem?

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>