I tried that (textDidBeginEditing) but it fires only after the user hits a key
to begin typing, not when they first enter the field (i.e. the action that
makes the focus ring show up).  I want to be notified as soon as the user
clicks in the field to get the cursor in there.  I was able to capture the
mouseDown event in the field but only in a subclass which is causing me
problems elsewhere.