Well, before this goes any further, I'm going to go ahead and answer my own
question here.

The problem is that in the code below, I'm actually instantiating two
AppController objects, one in each NIB.  So, one AppController doesn't have any
idea about the other AppController, and can't get to it's string.

The solution I've come up with is to replace my window controller class with a
simple call to NSBundle to load the NIB, setting AppController as the owner of
the second NIB.  Then, in IB, I set the identity of File's Owner to
AppController, delete the NSObject, and bind the button to the IBAction in the
File's Owner.

It's great to solve my own problems, I just wish I'd do it before sending out
to Cocoa-Dev for help!

-- Jon