Thanks for the nudge in the right direction James... I went back to the
debugger and found an underlying problem with the two variables in the base
class that were not coming through.  It as a mere coincidence that it was those
two in the base class, and I was not setting them correctly in the first place.
  Always the simple answers :)

regards,

Grant

On 18/01/2010, at 3:04 AM, James Bucanek wrote:

> Grant Christensen <mailto:gran...@bigpond.net.au> wrote (Sunday, January 17,
> 2010 6:53 AM +1000):
>
>> In my window I have a NSTableView that is using an array controller to get
>> access to my data.  The array controller is bound to an array of
>> BBSMoreSpecific classes.
>>
>> The problem I am having is that all of my columns bound to the fields in the
>> BBSMoreSpecific class show their data, but those bound to those in the base
>> class do not.  I am using a simple model key path of just the name of the
>> ivar, so aValue and anotherValue.
>>
>> Can the bindings access the base class or can they only access values in the
>> class the array controller is directly connected to?
>
> Of course you can. This is a basic principle of object oriented languages
> (unless there's scoping, but Objective-C doesn't support that). You could
> verify this by using a key-value path to access any of the object's NSObject
> properties, like -description.
>
> I suspect that something else is wrong. Your simplistic example appears to be
> valid, but it's obviously not the code you're using. It time to hit the
> debugger....
>
> Since you've declared these as formal properties, KVO should be accessing
> these properties via their accessor methods. One trick is to override the
> base-class getter method in your subclass like this:
>
> @implementation BBSMoreSpecific
> - (NSString*)aValue
> {
>    NSString* value = [super aValue];
>    //NSLog(@"%s returning '%@'",__func__,value);
>    return value;   // <-- set breakpoint here
> }
>
> Now you can set a breakpoint or log every access to that property. You
> shouldn't have any problem verifying if the correct messages are being sent
> (or not), by whom, and then work backwards from there.
>
> --
> James Bucanek

---
Grant Christensen