Dear Cocoa-dev People,

I'd queried the list about PDFKit selection behavior:

>    NSString * currentPageData = [currentPage string];
>
> behaves quite differently on a Snow Leopard build than it did under Leopard.
>
> A partial description of the issue is that the order of table data
> is not correctly preserved under Snow Leopard.

Someone answered my question off-list, saying:

"I haven't looked at this lately, but in Snow Leopard PDFKit gained some smarts
to recognise columnar layouts and base its text extraction on that. Possibly
this causes tables to be selected by column rather than by row, as they would
have been before."

I believe this is correct.

Unfortunately, due to the layout of the file I was inspecting, the new behavior
wasn't useful to me.

(My file was so "bad" that it wasn't obvious what the selection behavior
was–but it's selections did have columnar "tendencies.")

If anyone on the PDFKit team is listening, I think it would be kind to allow
row-by-row selection behavior to be effected within an app if so doing didn't
complicate the PDFKit codebase!

Sincerely,
Joel