Le 25 janv. 2010 à 11:56, Uli Kusterer a écrit :

> At WWDC I was told that Apple don't test AppKit against root (or at least,
> not much). Since the idea is to limit the time applications run as root for
> security reasons, there is no high priority find and fix such issues in
> AppKit. This means Apple can focus more of its developers on hardening the
> command-line part against root exploits.
>
> There have been issues like this in the past. For example, for a while,
> loginwindow used to load QuickTime components, which would then get loaded as
> root. A harmless application installing a QuickTime component could then
> cause the OS to crash at login time, as root.
>
> So, whatever your or my or Gwynne's personal opinion, Mac OS X has been
> designed under the assumption that no GUI app will be run as root (only a few
> tasks like loginwindow). If you do so anyway, you're tearing a hole in
> Apple's security policy and endangering your users' Macs.

Okay, I didn't meant to be rude, arrogant or whatever. I just tried to
understand. But I'm perfectly aware that when you develop for a given platform,
you implicitly agree to abide by its philosophy. I've not been confronted to
this problem up to now, so I came up with the solution I adopted before in a
pure Unix/X11 environment. Hopefully, if ever I have to face it, I'll remember
what you told me.

Tchüß!