On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Tharindu Madushanka
<tharindu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am currently in 4th year student of University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I
> am thinking of creating iPhone client and server application (using Java)
> for my final year project. I have following things in my mind. I would like
> to have some instructions or guides about this idea specially on possibility
> of doing such project in kind of 6 months time.
>
> I have some experience with iPhone SDK and Objective-C published one iPhone
> app of my own but not much experience working with low level C coding.
> I want to come up with *VOIP and Voice Recognition app*. I am thinking of
> implementing basically voice recognition at server side. And about
> implementing VOIP I would like to know some steps or guides from anyone who
> has more idea on this stuff. So I would like to know whether its possible to
> come up with such app with a period of around 6 months. I have found that
> there is some open source work on voice recognition - sphinx - Java. And
> just like to know about possibility of implementing VOIP for iPhone.. or
> some initial steps to look into this.

I think that the term "VoIP" is a red herring here. Yes, technically
you're taking voice audio and sending it over IP, but VoIP normally
refers to real-time interactive usage like internet telephony. You're
just sending audio data to a server and getting some kind of response,
so it's quite different. In particular, VoIP needs to achieve
latencies that are as low as possible (even 200ms of round-trip delay
can be pretty easily perceived by a human during a conversation),
whereas you really don't care too much about network latencies. This
alters the techniques you want to use considerably.

So, forget about VoIP and just break your problem down normally. You
really have three parts: 1) recording audio data  2) compressing it
3) sending it to a server and getting a response.

Parts 1 and 2 can be achieved with CoreAudio, and there's lots of
information and sample code out there. For more assistance, the
coreaudio-api list has good people.

Part 3 is pretty much up to you. Probably the simplest technique would
be to post the audio data using HTTP, which can be done in Cocoa with
NSURLConnection.

Is this possible in 6 months? That's really difficult to say, because
it all depends on the speed and skill of the programmer (you). Check
this stuff out, come up with a plan, and decide for yourself.

Mike