On Jan 28, 2010, at 12:48 PM, vincent habchi wrote:

> Of course. But then, admitting I do indeed draw offscreen and then load
> contents in the CALayer, on what object shall I draw? A CGLayer? Something
> else?

There are only 2 types of context you can create (bitmap & pdf) and only one
that can give you a CGImage as a result of the drawing (bitmap).

>> If you mean to see the drawing as it progresses, you will need to manage
>> that yourself. You would likely want to completely overhaul your rendering
>> process to do it however, as using a small fixed number of tiles would make
>> this very slow as you would end up needing to respecify content you've
>> already specified (basically draw-upload-draw-upload).
>
> The trick would obviously be drawing offscreen and then fire a timer each
> second or so to upload content until the full drawing is done. Why not?

The problem isn't so much in implementing that as the performance implications
of doing that. You may very well get it working quickly, but at the same time
you may not like the results or the performance. Or you may find it is fine for
what you are doing. It will depend a lot on how much content you have and the
specifications of the system you are running on.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing