oh i see.  i have to do that myself.  since i'm new at audio
programming, i just assumed that the point of Extended Audio File was
to load and play a large audio file piecemeal - that it did it for me
as part of the framework.

can you refer to me to samples or appropriate documentation so that i
can learn how to accomplish this?  i'm thinking it would be ideal to
supply my code with a file size limit, so that if a particular sound
file is larger than to only play that file in stages.