Greg Parker wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2010, at 3:30 AM, Per Bull Holmen wrote:
> > I've been playing around with the idea of making a simple bridge
> > between Objective-C (running under Cocoa) and a script language.

/.../

> > I'd like to know whether there are any other ways than
> > NSInvocation to send a message without knowing arg types and numbers
> > at compile time. Non-hackish ways, that is.

> NSInvocation is the most architecture-neutral way to go.
>
> The best option outside NSInvocation is to use libffi to build calls
> to objc_msgSend.

Thanks. I forgot to mention one thing: It need not be perfect! Far from it...
:) Just a simple tool, to facilitate letting a script (Lua) control a Cocoa
application. Therefore, I just might go for making a few quick implementations
for common argument- and return type combinations, and use NSInvocation for
everything else. Then the user can install their own quick handlers for
combinations that aren't covered yet.

But libffi seems like a very interesting option. Michael Ash mentions PyObjC
and RubyCocoa, a quick check reveals that they both use libffi. Any further
questions regarding this will be sendt on the objc mailing list. Thanks!

Per