On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Oleg Krupnov <oleg.krup...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good point, Jesper.
>
> But in this case, how should I catch real unhandled exceptions and
> send bug reports? What is the recommended best practice?

As far as I know, you really can't. The problem is that what we would
generally consider to be "unhandled" exceptions actually are handled.
Cocoa contains exception handlers in certain strategic places like
NSTimer and NSNotificationCenter. These handlers catch the exception
and log an error. You've probably seen these show up, "Exception
raised during ...."

These look like an error, and should be treated as errors, but they
*are* being handled, just not well. Any code that only catches
unhandled exceptions will miss these. Any code that catches handled
exceptions will catch harmless exceptions that are being properly
caught and handled by code that expects them. And as far as I know,
there's no middle ground where you can only catch the "bad" ones.

I think about the best you can do for these is hope the user notices
that something went wrong, and have them check their Console for the
message. I think that in 10.6, these messages now include stack
traces, so that helps a great deal with debugging, but they have to
realize that there was a problem first.

Mike