I have a multithreaded Cocoa+OpenGL app that can reliably bring down
OSX. I am using the latest released/patched version of OSX, all
updates have been downloaded and applied.

The application has a thread that displays video frames as OpenGL
textures. When I resize the associated window, it crashes OSX in
various ways. Sometimes OSX just hangs. Sometimes the whole screen
goes black. Sometimes I get psychedelic colors displayed outside my
application, for instance when I click the OSX dropdown menu at the
top left corner of the screen, it displays with blasts of colors
splayed across the screen. When OSX doesn't completely die and I try
to remotely log in and kill my process with a -9 signal, OSX refuses
to kill it. I've tried using Quartz Debug, that brings down OSX
particularly hard. When OSX doesn't hang, the graphics device driver
state seems to get corrupted, even when my application has finished
running, I get the weird psychedelic colors in OSX menus and programs.

Now, I'm sure I've got a bug in my program--but nothing I'm doing
should make OSX behave this way. Fundamentally this is an OSX bug. In
any case it's difficult to find the bug when OSX comes crashing down.

Any tips?

Shayne Wissler