On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On 2/12/10 9:51 AM, Kyle Sluder said:
>
>>Plea from a former sysadmin: *please* use a PackageMaker package, with
>>the permissions bits set appropriately in the BOM, *not* an installer
>>application!
>
> Could you elaborate?  We have been thinking to switch AWAY from
> PackageMaker because it is such a buggy monstrosity.

This discussion is veering off into installer-dev territory, but if
your app needs an installation script (that is, it can't be installed
with a simple drag-install), and I need to deploy it to my
workstations, I will seriously consider not buying your application if
I cannot drop a .pkg into Remote Desktop or System Image Utility,
opening it in PackageMaker along the way to make whatever tweaks I
want or need.

I spent far too many hours moving from machine to machine installing
Adobe products that I actively lobbied against upgrading.

--Kyle Sluder