Thanks, Jens!  I'd never heard of this before, and it looks like it'll fit the
bill nicely.  However, I'm a total noob when it comes to CoreAnimation, so it
may be a while before I grok what's going on underneath.

As far as GGB goes, how well does it handle custom boards?  For example, let's
say I wanted to recreate this board:
http://gallery.me.com/davedelong#100084/Board&bgcolor=black (dots are valid
positions, and lines indicate valid moves between positions).

Presumably I'd be creating a custom "Grid" subclass and building the board
layout in there.  My board is based on a square grid, but I'm not sure how I'd
only make some of the grid positions valid locations, nor how I'd draw the
lines in between them.  What would I need to do to recreate this board?

Thanks!

Dave