On 16 Feb 2010, at 21:40, David Duncan wrote:

>> Calling it in -initWithFrame: is too early and the view fails to 'draw'.
>
> If you are creating the view programmatically, -initWithFrame: should be
> fine. If your loading from a nib, then -awakeFromNib is the appropriate place.

That's actually a more distilled version of my question. When your layer
hosting view may be instantiated programatically, or from a NIB; there is no
good place that covers both since the -init methods are too early (I haven't
needed to test -initWithCoder: yet).

Nor have I determined the boundary condition for which it works afterwards, I
suspect it's after the has been placed in the view hierarchy. But if that's the
case, does the view hierarchy need to be rooted in a window or can it be
floating.

One simple workaround I've been using (but wanted to check for a better
solution) is to call -setWantsLayer:YES in -initWithFrame: and layer-back the
view's parent in the XIB.

Keith