On 2010 Feb 03, at 14:36, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2010, at 21:04, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>
>> An app I'm developing has a multi-tabbed window.  Sometimes one of the Error
>> Recovery Options is to click into some tab and adjust control Foo.  And in
>> many cases, either due to the complexity of it, or to help the user learn
>> where the control is, I want them to actually do it themselves, using the
>> control.
>>
>> So, when a user clicks the Recovery Option "Change Foo", I reveal the tab,
>> and then I'm thinking that I'd like to maybe draw a red outline around the
>> frame of the control.  Are there any API, Apple or other frameworks that I
>> should consider to do something like this?
>>
>> How about that fat blue arrow which Apple uses to direct users to menu items
>> after searching in Help?  Any way to get ahold of that?
>
> What about using a child window?
> I use MAAttachedWindow for this sort of thing.
>
> http://mattgemmell.com/2007/10/03/maattachedwindow-nswindow-subclass

Thanks, Jonathan.  Using Matt Gemmel's idea of making an attached window, I
wrote a class that makes a fat arrow with a blue gradient that looks like the
one you get when you click a menu item after searching in Help.

Now, I'd like it to be animated, like Apple's fat blue Help arrow, moving
slowly in a little circle.  In Matt's code, he moves the attached window by
re-creating it.  I could do this brute force, offsetting the frame with
x=cos(wt) and y=sin(wt).

In the Core Animation Programming Guide > Animatable Properties, it says that
'position' can be animated, and this has the effect of animating the frame.
I've never used Core Animation.  Is Core Animation the tool for this job or
should I use my brute force?

Thanks,

Jerry Krinock