On Feb 21, 2010, at 3:05 AM, Vikram Sethi wrote:

> Yes, I would agree that it is not generally a good practice. However, there
> are certain things that I would like the app to do in a no-window state for
> which tapping into the app would make sense.

Keep in mind that many users don't really understand the concept of an app
that's running but has no windows open. Common problems are "I can't open the
app" (they click on the Dock icon but no window opens; was largely fixed by the
'rapp' AppleEvent in System 7.1) and "I'm looking for the Foo menu but it's not
there anymore" (they see a window for that app but don't notice that another
app with no windows is active, so they're clicking into the wrong menu bar.)
You may laugh, but this is really widespread. So behaviors like what you're
describing could cause a lot of confusion, unless your app is only targeted at
geeks and power-users :)